Anxiety is rooted in your natural instincts. Your brain perceives a threat and quickly responds, sending chemical messengers out through your nervous system, causing you to react with fight, flight, freeze, or faint survival maneuvers. Problems begin when anxiety is triggered by non-life threatening events, when anxiety becomes a chronic pattern of worry, or when fear interferes with the things you need or want to do.
Anxiety disorders affect approximately 40 million American adults each year. Over the course of a lifetime, almost every one you know is going to have some experience with anxiety. The psychologists and therapists at First Coast Therapy have a real interest in making sure people know that anxiety is highly treatable.
If you or someone you know has anxiety, seek treatment!
Signs & Symptoms of Anxiety
Anxiety can cause a dizzying array of impressive physical and mental symptoms! It is recommended that you see a physician to rule out a medical cause for (or contributor to) your symptoms prior to beginning therapy.
- Increased heart rate or heart palpitations
- Sweating or shaking
- Chest pain or shortness of breath
- Difficulty swallowing
- Nausea, stomach ache
- Frequent urination or diarrhea
- Muscle tension
- Feelings of apprehension, dread
- Restlessness, irritability
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering
- Avoidance of feared situations
- Hypervigilance, jumpiness
DSM-V Anxiety Disorders We Treat:
- Separation anxiety Disorder
- Selective Mutism
- Specific Phobia
- Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia)
- Panic Disorder
- Panic Attack
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Substance/Medication-Induced Anxiety Disorder
- Other Specified Anxiety Disorder
- Unspecified Anxiety Disorder
At First Coast Therapy We Will Help You Find The Right Treatment For Your Anxiety
Treatment options for anxiety disorders include medication, psychotherapy, and adjunctive or alternative therapies. Treatment choices depend upon your symptoms and individual preferences. Medication will not cure anxiety, but can help alleviate symptoms. Psychotherapy or talk therapy, particularly Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), has been proven effective in the treatment of anxiety, often allowing people to avoid or reduce the use of medication. At First Coast Therapy we will work with you to design a treatment plan that fits your values, lifestyle, and individual needs.